Empire

From RimWorld Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Faction icon of the Empire

The Empire is an ultra tech level faction added by the Royalty DLC, with a variety of unique mechanics.

They can have a randomized name with a Greek theme, though the description will contain "Empire".

You can choose to join the Empire promoting your pawns with Nobility ranks and being rewarded with things such as the powerful Psycasts, Monoswords, or Cataphract armor; Alternatively you can fight them and loot the same things.

Empire caravans, trade ships and settlements can only be traded with by a pawn that holds the title of knight/dame or higher. This pawn must be in any be the one to initiate the trade and must be present in any caravan parties.

Lore

"An ultratech refugee society from another planet, organized along feudal lines. They lived for thousands of years in a stable multi-planet empire with a strict caste system, an intricate code of warrior ethics, and enforced cultural stasis. Invaded by powerful outsiders, they fled. Despite losing almost all of their people, their fleet and technology still make them powerful. They will refuse to trade with anyone who lacks the appropriate royal title." - In-game description

The Empire are the remnants of a technologically advanced interstellar empire, or of one section of it, that have fled from invaders. They are organized in a feudal hierarchy nominally headed by a far-off Emperor, however, due to the lack of Faster-than-light travel, much of true day to day power is held by the Stellarchs who have dominion over their entire star system.

Various facts about the Empire can be gleaned from Imperial Backstories, namely:

  • The noble households are served by the common folk in a variety of roles from domestic to military, despite the technology available to the Empire before its fall.
  • An Imperial Church exists, monotheistic organization with both Inquisitors in the church's anti-heresy school, and psychics in the church's psychic school. The church also provided Chaplains for the military, non-combatants that provided for the medical and spiritual needs of the soldiery.
  • Grand, ancient starships acted as powerbases for noble families along side more traditional planetary holdings. Nobles and commoners alike would be born and raised on these ships.
  • Wars of succession, as well as smaller scale conflicts over inheritance, were not unheard of. Some families implemented contingencies to guard against this.
  • They fielded a developed military and, unlike most Glitterworlds, it saw combat, possibly routinely but definitely within the last generation. This combat included both planetary combat, involving infantry and aircraft, and space-borne ship-to-ship combat.
  • Noble titles are primarily hereditary, and at least some families practiced primogeniture. Those that did apparently practiced absolute, rather than male-preference, primogeniture.

Inspiration

  • "I'm getting Eastern Roman vibes"

Look at how the Imperial characters are named - Tynan Sylvester - RimWorld Developer.

The Empire appears to be roughly based on the Byzantine Empire - a fracturing, once-mighty empire driven from their previous homeland. This inspiration carries over to the use of Greek-inspired names for imperial pawns, similar Greek and Latin inpsiration for their settlements and their use of term Cataphracts for their heavily armored elite forces. Janissaries, conversely, are Ottoman in origin. The Ottomans were, in part, a successor to the Eastern Roman Empire. This is partially confirmed by the above quote from Tynan.

Names

The name of the Empire varies from game to game, but follows one of several patterns:

  • [Empire] of [ofThing]
  • The [Empire] of [ofThing]
  • The Exodus [Empire]
  • The Refugee [Empire]
  • The Broken [Empire]
  • The Shattered [Empire]
  • The Fallen [Empire]
  • The [Color] [Empire]

Where [Color], [Empire] and [ofThing] are replaced by one of the following:

Part Word
[Empire] Empire Commonwealth Imperium Dominion Sovereignty
[ofThing] [Constructed Word] the Sun the Moon the Universe God Perfection Eternity the Spirit
[Color] Red Blue Green Purple Black White Gray Orange

Examples:

  • The Imperium of the Sun
  • The Green Commonwealth
  • The Exodus Sovereignty

Pawns

Empire pawns always have backstories from the "Imperial Common", "Imperial Fighter", or "Imperial Royal" categories. While "Imperial Common" is nominally the default, Imperial Citizens can spawn with backstories from either the "Imperial Common" or "Imperial Fighter" categories, and Troopers, Janissaries, Champions, Cataphracts, Stellic Wardens and Stellic Defenders spawn with the "Imperial Fighter" category exclusively, while Bestowers and Nobles, including the Noble "Wimp", always have backstories from the "Imperial Royal" category.

Pawn Type Image Combat Power Gear Health (%) Avg. Gear Quality Clothing Budget Weapon Budget Available Weapons Age Range
Additional Info
Imperial Citizen 2 Empire Lodger.jpg 30 100 ? 200-1000 ? Charge lance Charge rifle Persona monosword Persona plasmasword Persona zeushammer Up to 65 Never has Nudist trait. Will always be a noble between Freeholder and Knight. Will only rarely spawn with a weapon - additionally they will only ever spawn with a gun when also spawning with a military Backstory, and will only ever spawn with a persona weapon when spawning also as a Knight or Dame.
8% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Cochlear implant Denture Peg leg Prosthetic arm Prosthetic heart Prosthetic leg Wooden foot Wooden hand .
Imperial Trader 3 Empire Trader.jpg 40 ? ? 1250-2500 1100-3500 Autopistol Revolver Up to 65 Will always be a noble of at least Freeholder rank. Always spawns with either a Beret, Top hat (Males only) or Ladies hat (females only). 15% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Bionic ear Bionic stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Hand talon Joywire Knee spike Painstopper Power claw Venom fangs Venom talon
Laborer 1 Empire Laborer.jpg 30 100 ? 200-1000 ? ? Up to 50 Is never incapable of Dumb Labor, Skilled Labor, Cleaning, Hauling, Mining and Firefighting. Never has Nudist trait.
8% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Cochlear implant Denture Peg leg Prosthetic arm Prosthetic heart Prosthetic leg Wooden foot Wooden hand .
Trooper 9 Empire Trooper.jpg 60 70-230 ? 5000-8000 1100-2500 Assault rifle Chain shotgun Heavy SMG LMG Up to 55 Always has a Flak jacket, Flak vest, Flak pants and implanted Death acidifier. Has a 25% chance to have a Gunlink. Can spawn with implants. Never has Brawler or Body Purist trait. Always has Shooting skill between 4 and 10.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Field hand Gastro-analyzer Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Reprocessor stomach Toughskin gland .
Janissary 6 Empire Janissary.jpg 100 70-230 ? 6000-9000 1550-2700 Assault rifle Chain shotgun Charge lance Charge rifle Heavy SMG LMG Sniper rifle Up to ? Always has Black Recon armor, an implanted Death acidifier and either a Black Recon helmet (80% chance) or Gunlink (20% chance). Can spawn with implants. Never has Brawler or Body Purist trait. Always has Shooting skill between 6 and 10.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Field hand Gastro-analyzer Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Reprocessor stomach Toughskin gland .
Champion 5 Empire Champion.jpg 100 70-230 ? 1100-2500 1250-2500 Axe Gladius Mace Monosword Plasmasword Warhammer Zeushammer Up to 40 Always has Plate armor and a Shield belt. Can spawn with implants. Never has Body Purist trait. Always has a Melee skill between 8 and 13.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Bionic arm Bionic ear Bionic eye Bionic heart Bionic leg Bionic spine Bionic stomach Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Gastro-analyzer Hand talon Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Joywire Knee spike Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Painstopper Power claw Reprocessor stomach Toughskin gland Venom fangs Venom talon .
Cataphract 4 Empire Cataphract.jpg 150 70-230 ? 7000-10000 1250-2500 Charge lance Charge rifle Minigun Up to 40 Always has a white Cataphract armor, implanted Death acidifier and Armorskin gland, and either a white Cataphract helmet (80% chance) or a Gunlink (20% chance). Has a small chance to be Yeoman, but if not, will always be a Freeholder. Never has Brawler or Body Purist traits. Always has a Shooting skill between 8 and 12.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Bionic arm Bionic ear Bionic eye Bionic heart Bionic leg Bionic spine Bionic stomach Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Gastro-analyzer Hand talon Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Joywire Knee spike Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Painstopper Power claw Reprocessor stomach Stoneskin gland Toughskin gland Venom fangs Venom talon .
Stellic Warden 7 Empire Stellic Guard Melee.jpg 175 100 Excellent 7000-10000 3000-3500 Persona monosword Persona plasmasword Persona zeushammer Up to 40 Always has a Black Prestige cataphract helmet, Red Prestige cataphract armor and clothes, Shield belt, and implanted Death acidifier, Stoneskin gland, and 2x Bionic eyes. Will always be a Knight (Males) or Dame (Females). Never has Body Purist, Wimp or Nudist traits. Always has a Melee skill between 11 and 16. Can never spawn with a Mindscrew.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Bionic arm Bionic ear Bionic eye Bionic heart Bionic leg Bionic spine Bionic stomach Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Gastro-analyzer Hand talon Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Joywire Knee spike Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Painstopper Power claw Psychic harmonizer Psychic reader Psychic sensitizer Reprocessor stomach Stoneskin gland Toughskin gland Venom fangs Venom talon .
Stellic Defender 8 Empire Stellic Guard Ranged.jpg 175 100 Excellent 7000-10000 3000-3500 Charge lance Charge rifle Up to 40 Always has a Black Prestige cataphract helmet, Red Prestige cataphract armor and clothes, and implanted Death acidifier, Stoneskin gland, and 2x Bionic eyes. Will always be a noble between Freeholder and Knight. Never has Body Purist, Brawler, Wimp or Nudist traits. Always has a Shooting skill between 11 and 16. Can never spawn with a Mindscrew.
30% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Bionic arm Bionic ear Bionic eye Bionic heart Bionic leg Bionic spine Bionic stomach Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Gastro-analyzer Hand talon Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Joywire Knee spike Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Painstopper Power claw Psychic harmonizer Psychic reader Psychic sensitizer Reprocessor stomach Stoneskin gland Toughskin gland Venom fangs Venom talon .
Bestower 10 Empire Bestower.jpg 150 ? Excellent 1000~1500 99999 Eltex staff 50+ Always has a Red Hood, red Prestige robe and red clothes. Never has Body Purist or Nudist traits. Is never incapable of Violence.
15% chance to have one of the following prostheses: Aesthetic nose Aesthetic shaper Armorskin gland Bionic arm Bionic ear Bionic eye Bionic heart Bionic leg Bionic spine Bionic stomach Circadian assistant Circadian half-cycler Coagulator Detoxifier stomach Drill arm Elbow blade Field hand Gastro-analyzer Hand talon Healing enhancer Immunoenhancer Joywire Knee spike Learning assistant Love enhancer Neurocalculator Nuclear stomach Painstopper Power claw Psychic harmonizer Psychic reader Psychic sensitizer Reprocessor stomach Stoneskin gland Toughskin gland Venom fangs Venom talon .

Faction bases

Despite being ostensibly space based, the Empire maintains settlements on the surface of the planet, presumably as outposts. Trading with these outposts requires a title of Knight/Dame or above.

If attacked, these bases always/usually have:

The base is usually defended by the a force approximating the following:

  • 5x Troopers
  • 3x-4x Janissaries
  • 2x Cataphracts
  • 4x Champions

Royal Tribute Collector

If you are not hostile to the Empire, Royal Tribute Collectors will visit the colony approximately twice a year. Tribute collectors are essentially Empire-only trade caravans that exclusively accept gold and prisoners in exchange for Honor.

Version History

  • Royalty Release - Added
  • 1.1.2647 - Stellic Wardens and Defenders now spawn with prestige cataphract armor and helmets, instead of regular cataphract armor and helmets.
  • 1.2.2719 - Empire soldiers now have more distinctive haircuts. Empire is no longer enemy with civil NPC factions. Warning added if players call Empire military aid when there are enemies on the map that the aid won't fight. All Empire pawns have at least the title of Freeholder. Bestowers and Bestowal Ceremony added to Titles mechanics.
  • 1.2.2753 - Bestower is no longer required to have archotech eyes.

See Also