A projectile-repulsion device. It will attempt to stop incoming projectiles or shrapnel, but does nothing against melee attacks or heat. It prevents the wearer from firing out, and shuts down instantly if hit by EMP.
- Required Research
- Skill Required
- Crafting 6
- Work To Make
- 14,000 ticks (3.89 mins)
- RewardStandardMidFreq, RewardStandardQualitySuper
The shield belt is a defensive utility item that generates a bubble of energy to absorb projectiles. It blocks projectile attacks both from the outside and from within, meaning colonists will not fire ranged weapons with an equipped shield belt, and instead are limited to melee weapons only.
As a complicated piece of technology, Shield Belts can only be made at the machining table and requires Shields to be researched in order to be constructed. Crafting the belt requires 50 Steel, 20 Plasteel, 2 Components, 14,000 ticks (3.89 mins) of work, and a Crafting skill of 6.
Alternatively, they can be received as a quest reward, purchased from traders, or found on Raiders.
Shield belts are worn at the waist, and use their own charge to stop damage from incoming ranged attacks and explosions (except flame explosions, which penetrate). The amount of charge is dependent on the belt's quality, with the default being 110 points. This charge is depleted at a rate of 3.3 charge per 1 point of damage from attacks. If an attack would be sufficient to completely deplete the shield's charge, then the rest of its damage is negated, and the shield temporarily broken. The shield does not prevent pawns from being set on fire[Fact Check], explosions from detonating, or being staggered from weapons with sufficient stopping power.
Shield belts constantly recharge at a rate dependent on their quality, so long as they are not broken. However, once a shields charge is completely expended, the shield will break and the belt will be temporarily disabled. Similarly, upon being hit by an EMP from any source they instantly lose all power and the shield will break. In either case, it takes 3,200 ticks (53.33 secs) after breaking before it begins to recharge again. They will recharge starting from 20 points, meaning they can be easily broken once again.
Wearing a shield belt prevents the user from firing, but not equipping, ranged weapons. They can still use them as blunt melee weapons. The ranged weapons integrated into the grenadier armor and phoenix armor are also disabled. Note that shield belt wearers will not fire even if a shield belt is inactivated by damage or EMP.
Like all utility items, a shield belt is treated largely like any piece of apparel, however some exceptions exist. Utility items are worn on the waist and are mutually exclusive only with each other, regardless of the layer or coverage of other apparel worn. Additionally, utility items never become tainted, deteriorate from being worn, or inflict a worn-out or tattered mood debuff when damaged.
The following table lists how much protection a shield belt provides at each quality level.
The shield takes the form of a white bubble around them, which will shrink and diminish as the charge reduces and will vanish if the shield is downed. It shows up when the colonist is drafted, or under ranged attack.
|This article is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it. Reason: Analysis section needs rewrite for content/meaningful strategies.|
The shield belt provides a substantial amount of defense for melee pawns. It blocks great portions of gunfire, which allows them to close in on ranged enemies. Enemies will not fire their guns when in melee combat, so engaging ranged enemies in melee will practically neutralize them. This means that a shield belt not only protects its wearer, but the strategies it allows can protect the entire colony.
As shield belts constantly recharge until broken, shielded pawns are effectively invulnerable when facing enemies that have a DPS below 1/3.3x the recharge rate of their belt.
Shield belts make it viable to bait enemy fire without placing your colonists at serious risk. Simply equip a colonist with a shield and run them in front of your line. Enemy AI tends to target the closest victim possible, so they'll target your shield bait. This is especially effective against mechanoids, to absorb those lethal charge lance shots and stray minigun hits. Shield belts can help with kiting and other sorts of luring tactics.
The shield belt can be used in combination with locust armor to provide an equivalent to the jump pack while still being able to equip the shield belt, while the shield belt is used to compensate for the low sharp protection of the locust armor. Note that the shield belt will only protect against ranged fire, so a jump pack and more protective armor is superior when facing melee enemies.
- Despite requiring an industrial research project and obviously being a high tech piece of equipment, the shield belt is actually defined as having an medieval tech level. This is likely just an oversight.
- Shield belts bear some similarity to shields in the Dune franchise, mainly in that they do not allow any high-speed object to enter or exit the shield, rendering guns useless to shield belt users.
- 0.9.722 - Added as the Personal shield.
- Alpha 17 - Renamed from Personal shield to Shield belt. Now has a crafting recipe and also gained a slight retexture.
- Beta 19 - its crafting cost and market value is greatly reduced.
- 1.2.2900 or earlier - Shields used to block attacks from Spike traps as if they were ranged attacks, however this is no longer the case.
- 1.3.3066 - Wearing a shield belt now prevents firing the integrated launcher in the grenadier armor and phoenix armor . Previously they could be fired but could only target only adjacent squares (including diagonals).
- 1.4.3523 - Fix: Explosive projectiles disappear when impacting a shield. They now detonate when impacting.
- 1.4.3531 - Children can now wear shield belts.
- 1.4.3682 - Fix: Error when shield belt on ground is hit by EMP explosion.