|This article is suggested to be rewritten. Reason: Outdated information and both better analysis and standardization of format are needed. You can help RimWorld Wiki by improving it.|
A portable automatic turret. Requires steel to refurbish its barrel after heavy use. May explode when damaged. Its dumb AI brain can't be directly controlled, so beware of friendly fire.
- 8 kg
- 1 ˣ 1
- Cover Effectiveness
- Armor penetration
- 288 ticks (
- 29 tile(s)
- 70% - 64% - 41% - 22%
- 70 (m/s)
- Burst Count
- 2 (per burst)
- 8 ticks (
- Skill Required
- Construction 5
- Work To Make
- 1,800 ticks (
- 22.5 + 52.5 + 2.25
The mini-turret is a stationary defense mechanism which automatically fires at any enemies entering its range of 24.9 tiles. It fires a 2-round burst with no need for warmup, has a slow 4.8 second cooldown and 96% per-tile accuracy. Mini-turrets are somewhat underwhelming on their own, and need to be placed in large numbers to be effective. In earlier versions like v1.0, the mini-turret did not receive a Cover bonus from being hidden behind cover-granting objects like sandbags, however by v1.2 this has been reinstated.
After firing 60 rounds it requires a barrel change, costing:
- 40 steel in Peaceful and Base Builder difficulty
- 60 steel in Medium difficulty
- 80 steel in Rough difficulty and above
Alternatively, it can be opportunistically uninstalled and looted from various world sites.
- The Mini-turret is built with 30 Stuff (Metals), 70 Steel, 3 Component in 1,800 ticks ( .
- Steel is the most viable option early-game, but it's advisable to switch them out for plasteel turrets as soon as you can, as steel turrets aren't very durable and therefore can't withstand sustained gunfire.
- The most effective material is plasteel. It has the most HP, no flammability as of v1.2, is somewhat easier to obtain mid-late game, and saves steel for other purposes.
- You should expect turrets to be frequently replaced, and uranium is too rare and expensive to be practical.
- Silver and gold are poor material choices due to their poor durability and extremely high cost.
Used alone or in small numbers, mini-turrets do not provide much additional firepower. However, raiders will often target the turret instead of the colonists if it is closer to them, shielding the colonists from harm until the turret is destroyed. However, attackers will not take an unpowered turret as a primary target. The firepower of the turrets adds up when massed together, to the point where turrets alone can sometimes beat back even massive raids. Larger colonies often build a "killbox": An entrance area designed to funnel raiders where turrets can do maximum damage while the raiders' own ability to fight back is minimized. Using sandbags to protect your turrets can be a solid tactic in either case. Raiders with long ranged weapons can snipe mini-turrets from outside its range, so forcing them into close range with walls or terrain is recommended.
The accuracies listed in the infobox are for the base weapon, the Mini-turret gun - similar to weapons used by pawns both the weapon's accuracy and the pawn's Shooting Accuracy combine to make the true accuracy. In this instance, the Mini-Turret has a Shooting Accuracy of 96%, equivalent to a pawn with a shooting skill of 8.
Turrets have a 50% chance to explode when it reaches 20% health. The exploding turret will spark and emit a hissing sound shortly before exploding a 240 ticks ( later. All nearby raiders will run in an attempt to get out of the blast radius to keep their skin intact.
The explosion deals 400 damage to walls, 200 damage to all others structures and furniture, 50 damage to the slag chunks and components that drop, and around 50 damage across multiple body parts to all pawns unlucky enough to get caught in the explosion. Due to this, it's best to space out groups of turrets so that one exploding doesn't create a chain reaction. This is somewhat less of a risk with Plasteel turrets.
|Material||Stuff cost||Beauty||Work||Mass||HP||Flammability||Market Value|
|Golden Mini-turret||300||0||1,620 ticks (||8||60||28%||3235|
|Plasteel Mini-turret||30||-20||3,960 ticks (||8||280||0%||515|
|Silver Mini-turret||300||-14||1,800 ticks (||8||70||28%||535|
|Steel Mini-turret||30||-20||1,800 ticks (||8||100||28%||290|
|Uranium Mini-turret||30||-20||3,420 ticks (||8||250||0%||420|
The below shows accuracy and DPS of a turret across its range.
- 0.2.363 - Made turret look and sound weak to match its functionality.
- Alpha 3 Auto-turret renamed to Improvised Turret
- Beta 19, renamed from Improvised turret to miniturret. Power decreased from 350W and costed decreased, but now requires barrel changes.
- 1.1 it was nerfed to fire a 2-round burst, down from 3.
- 1.1.2569, range was increased from 25 to 29.
- 1.1.2618 the reload cost was doubled and the fuel capacity was halved, while the damage was increased to 11 from 10.