Downed is a condition in which a creature (human, animal, etc) is alive but incapable of movement. This is caused by one of the following states, listed in order of severity:
- Unconscious. Consciousness is below 30% but above 0%.
- Pain shock. Pain reaches Pain Shock Threshold.
- Incapacitated. Moving capacity is 15% or less.
"Incapacitated" and "incapable of movement" are often used as synonyms for downing. Creatures properly inside a bed are usually called "incapacitated" or "resting" rather than "downed", but they are functionally similar. A pawn that is only incapacitated, but still conscious, can have mood changes; needs like Recreation and Beauty will only decay when a pawn is conscious.
Downed pawns will drop their weapons and other carried items but will not drop equipped apparel and utility items. The vast majority of enemies will stop attacking a downed target. Pawns under murderous rage and predator animals looking for food can continue to target them, however. Also, downed pawns are still vulnerable to explosions.
Death on down
|This section is a stub. You can help RimWorld Wiki by expanding it. Reason: 1) Full list of triggers for DoD are not known - needs someone to either go through the C# or extensive testing, 2) Some sort of display of chance by population intent similar to what was on the page before but actually correct. 3) Further explanation of population intent..
Enemy pawns have a chance to die when downed from pain shock or when their Moving capacity is reduced below 15% directly by damage, even if their condition otherwise would not kill them. This chance is dependent on current population intent and the storyteller settings, the latter of which can be adjusted at any time. Other causes of downing, such as consciousness reductions from ailments, do not trigger this death chance, so are preferred if you want to capture somebody. Note that this includes ailments resulting from, or that also cause, damage such as blood loss, heatstroke, and hypothermia.
An incapacitated creature is a valid target for a variety of actions:
- Ranged or Melee attack to death by a drafted pawn, which does not give XP.
- Being carried by any drafted pawn, even if incapable of hauler work. They can be dropped in place at will or carried to a bed.
- Being tended by a drafted pawn on the spot.
- Involuntary loading into a cryptosleep casket.
Actions specific to incapacitated humans:
Actions specific to downed animals:
- Neck cut. A colonist set to Hunting will finish off any animal that are set to hunt.
- Tame animals cannot be hunted, but slaughtering is functionally similar and does not require downing.